Friday, July 23, 2010

What’s YOUR communications style ?

 

This week I attended this month’s Lucky Strike Social Media Club   (they’re also on Facebook,of course) dinner meeting. For almost ,well just about 7 or 8 months, I’ve been *meaning* to get to one of the meetings. But ever so often, life gets in the way, personal and professional-lately the latter not the former.

 

This month, I had a mission, and I was going ! It was fantastic, a lot of these people, I had either knowingly or some what unknowingly been communicating with-mostly on Twitter  (Yes you can find me there if you haven’t already @NikkiBeauchamp.So it was great to take the online connections and engagement and be face to face (I prefer that term to “IRL” ,nothing “unreal” about genuinely connecting and engaging ,in my opinion).

 

I sat at a table, and one of the interesting topics that came up was my particular communications style. In an age where in theory we are all “more” connected, sometimes it feels less so. So, as a result, I don’t like to get lost in ,shall we call it “text” limbo. Which of course now extends to endless convos on FB, email, tweets-you name it its there.

 

I like to tell people how I prefer to communicate, in the hopes that when we decide we wish to communicate we can discuss our respective styles so that we are actually doing so ! I’m not inflexible, by any means, but as an example, let’s use text messaging. It can get really hard to have an extended conversation this way-if it requires more than three rounds of text, be forewarned I am likely to pick up the phone and call. OR maybe this is something that would be better addressed in email, where there isn’t a 140 character limitation ? OR I’m even open to IM, as a friend at the table pointed out-you can easily catch me on IM if I happen to be on-and go on at length –I find it can be very easy and beneficial, for those of my friends, family and clients who prefer this method-to run a client from my mobile device. Another example, I have a good friend who I communicate with mostly with IM, its her preferred method-we leave each other IM messages, we also use email, we usually use the phone when we’re running late to *gasp* meet each other to do something ,we also use text, but mainly for the same purpose-or sharing an interesting photo we might have taken while out. I know for some people, with metered minutes, whether from a scheduling or a monthly allotment perspective-prefer text which they may have an unlimited plan.

 

Long telephone calls, also get really complicated. Especially if you’re on a cell phone…and out and about in ,especially in Manhattan which mean the sounds of Midtown Manhattan traffic, for example ( remember MOST of my time is in fact spent out and about-whether showing for clients or customers or previewing or just pounding the pavement prospecting,yes,I still think this can be a good thing-strategically)

 

How about we communicate about how we prefer to communicate so we can actually communicate and get something done ? J  So ,what is your preferred method of communicating with someone –what’s your style ?  (I ask this of new friends and clients, so that we can come to a style that suits us J )

Posted via email from Nicole Beauchamp Team, Your NYC Real Estate Resource

No comments:

Post a Comment