Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Interesting observations on truth,trust,transparency and respect (or the lack of any of these)

This is somewhat originally inspired by some recent interactions,mainly on the rental side of the business but completely applicable to any relationship with a client or customer-in any industry actually, not just real estate.

 

So, here is the example in particular:

 

I was relaxing amongst family members after dinner, and got a request,from a family member I probably haven’t seen in a year or more,who I barely say more than hello/goodbye to,ever. So…he says - “Hey, I didn’t know you were in real estate [insert the eye rolls from the other adults in the room] - I’m interested in getting x, at or below $y, in z neighborhood”. Now, they rolled their eyes because he’s clearly in his own world,and if he listened to people outside of it,he’d know FULL well I was in real estate,but again-this isn’t unusual-someday I expect he might say something like “wow I didn’t know you were so tall” J -which we all have known for years, but also, because of how preposterous his request was. When your request is so preposterous that others clearly see it-that’s your first clue….

 

So I calmly answered “That is highly unlikely, but tell you what, RIGHT NOW, I’ll do a search”, and I pulled out my iPad, logged into to search the database of listings, and showed exactly what was available. Somewhat incredulously, he asked me to expand the neighborhoods-I told him, I already had. …etc

 

How did we leave this? He asked that I keep an eye out. Um, okay, perhaps, actively definitely not-why –sometimes it is NOT worth the time, effort or energy to go chasing a flying pig! [Of course being that this is family, there’s always a back story…but suffices to say devoid of realism just makes it worse!]

 

[This is on my mind because it came up in a discussion last night…..]

 

Ask me a question, I believe in replying with the truth and the data to back it up. If after I’ve shown the data, you still have questions and concerns-voice them, if you then ask me to further restrict the search-making what you seek even more impossible, I will kindly tell you such, and will gladly recommend alternate avenues-which could include a variety of scenarios…

 

Now, let me back track a little bit-

 

I have, to date, rarely intentionally sought out rental clients or listings. Generally ,rental business so far has been by referral-friend,family,past client or colleague-or a seller who decided they wanted to simultaneously market a home for sale OR rent. It often starts out as friendly advice, and often when rapport builds, becomes a client relationship.

 

The reasons I get these referrals (and they still come in J )-is my belief that everyone should have a great experience with a real estate broker-the point is to engage a professional who acts in your best interests and helps you to navigate towards your goal-whether you are looking to buy ,sell, rent or invest. Regardless of price point-everyone gets the SAME caliber of service. This in turn leads people to feel comfortable in referring business to me.

 

Especially, as most of us in the business are aware-we don’t always have the best of reputations, however-there is incredible value in helping to turn that perception around.I have seen this as recently as within the last three weeks,with a few testimonials/thank yous from recent clients (and of course I've seen this throughout my career in real estate sales as well).

 

At the end of the day, it is my belief that relationships matter-deals come and go, and sometimes don’t happen-but a good relationship pays off in dividends. Thinking in terms of ROI (return on investment) is important, but also think in terms of ROR (return on relationships). Genuinely nurturing and building a relationship with a client, leads to more referrals of business down the line (sales and rental alike)-think of it like tending to a garden, 24/7 365 days a year.

 

However, not at the expense of your time and effort. You have to realize when it’s a losing proposition possibly. I am always happy to offer an opinion (in passing)- but there’s a difference between offering a one time opinion versus taking someone on as a client-previewing,searching,hours ,days, weeks of work already knowing that the person does not wish to pay.

 

Times are certainly challenging economically-that’s a given, and we have had to adjust accordingly. But when you are considering making a major life change-and moving, whether buying OR renting is a change-it is imperative that you consider ALL the costs involved, including paying the professionals whose expertise and knowledge you wish to rely on to get the best deal possible for you-and yes, that absolutely includes your brokers !

 

It is always client/customers choice to work, or not work with someone. But likewise it is also the professional’s choice as well. For a good working relationship, I believe there must be truth, trust, transparency and respect and it is imperative that it be BI-DIRECTIONAL !. And part of the respect is not assuming that someone would totally forgo remuneration for their hard work on YOUR behalf.

 

Presumably, part of the point of working with a real estate professional is YOUR trust in THEIR product knowledge, expertise, negotiating skills-the list can go on forever. If you don’t trust or feel comfortable, then that’s likely NOT the person you want working on YOUR behalf.

 

Curious to know more about how I work with clients-how I establish, trust by truth telling and maintaining transparency ? Call or email me-and I’d be MORE than happy to discuss. Want some tips on life in NYC – can ask those too-anytime !

 

Til the next time.

 

Always at your service.

Posted via email from Nicole Beauchamp Team, Your NYC Real Estate Resource

No comments:

Post a Comment